This is a short collection of links I used to keep myself entertained while
living in Boston. Hopefully they will help you find something interesting to do
in your free time there. The order is roughly the frequency I visited those
sites to find something good.
- The Boston Calendar is a good collection.
The interesting content (the actual list) takes only about 20% of
the page’s width.
- MeetUp is almost comically bad to use, but this
is the tool everyone prefers to organize many tech and interest-specific
groups, so one has to bear with it.
- Boston.com Events has all the long-running tourist staples.
- Boston Science and Engineering Lectures is a goldmine if you are actually interested in science or
- BostonConcerts and Trill for concert info.
- Boston Compass for less mainstream events.
- /r/bostonsocialclub has potential
but is a good example of fitting a square peg (an event collection) into a
round hole (a relatively inflexible subreddit template).
As an aside, none of the events sites I listed here are even close to great.
Even though many of them try, I believe the basic concept of “here’s a list of everything
in town” is flawed. People have interests, and sites should know them and
account for them when deciding what to show and in which order.